Tuesday 8 January 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Goals for 2013

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's top ten is reading goals for the upcoming year. Here are mine!

1. Read 100 books. I love the Goodreads reading challenge and I haven't failed yet! I've usually had to up my target halfway through the year after setting it too low, but this year I've started out high. Fingers crossed!

2. Read some well-known children's classics. This is for my own Children's Classics Challenge and one book in I'm so glad I chose this as a challenge! I can't wait to keep going.

3. Read more classics. I think there's this perception that if you love books, you love the classics. I've never really got on with this theory and classics have always been a chore, but maybe this year it'll change! High up on the list to read this year are Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.

4. Read those books I own that have been gathering dust on my shelves for years. I have so many books I've bought (mainly cheap from charity shops!) on the spur of the moment and just haven't got round to reading. I really must get round to reading them before I end up getting rid of them because they take up space :(

5. Read review books quicker. I'm really bad at reading review books. I think there's something about a book you didn't choose to read that makes it harder to get motivated to read it, but the last 2 books I got for review have been fantastic and I regretted putting them off!

6. Stop buying books when I have books to read. This is hard but I really, really need to cut back on my book buying! I just don't have room for a start which leads me to...

7. Get my own e-reader. I currently borrow one for all my e-book needs or use my iPod (which isn't ideal) so this year I'm going to invest in my own e-reader, and I think I may have been converted to the Kindle! It'll mean I spend less hopefully and don't have to worry about where I store books.

8. Read Twilight. This has been on my mind for a while and I even wrote a post about it for the blog. I've never read Twilight, which means I can't really comment too much on the books and the phenomenon because I haven't read the source material (I haven't watched the films either!). I think this year will be the year that changes.

9. Read more blogs! I love reading other book blogs but if I get behind on my own blogging then I end up running out of time to read and comment on other blogs.

10. Read books by debut authors. I signed up for the 2013 Debut Author Challenge this year and I'm really hoping to contribute. It'll probably be money dependant as I don't get arcs and I don't know whether I'll be able to afford to read as many as the challenge says, but fingers crossed I get to read a few!

11 comments:

  1. Loving these goals & the inspiration. I can really relate to reading more books of my own - those shiny new books are so hard to resist.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a problem we all have! I'm currently bribing myself by saying I'll buy myself something nice if I finish a certain book/certain number of books so I'll see if that does the trick :P thanks so much for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  2. Great goals! I'm trying to read more classics as well. And I think you should read Twilight. There were things I both liked and disliked about the phenomenon, but while reading the series I actually really enjoyed it. :D Now following you via GFC, btw.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with reading more classics! :) Yeah I'm coming to that conclusion, I think I've put it off for too long and for silly reasons - time I took the plunge :D thanks so much for following! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your resolution to read children's classics! Such a good idea. Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited to read some of the books I've picked - some of which I'm ashamed to have missed as a child! But I think the classics can still be appreciated by all ages :) thanks so much for your comment! :)

      Delete
  4. Love your list! I want to read more blogs and tackle my TBR list is on my Top Ten list too. I think I am going to use the Twilight series for my Book Bingo Challenge. :) The Children's Classic Challenge is one I might add half way through the year if I have time. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck if you do go for reading children's classics! And hope you get on well with Twilight :) thanks so much for your comment :D

      Delete
  5. Same here, I really need to read books faster and stop being distracted my stuff. Woah, you havent read Twilight yet? I'm not saying that Twilight was great, but you should really read it already, since everyone else has :D Good luckonyour goals!

    My Goals for 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so behind the rest of the world! :P I think it sort of became something I kept putting off just to see how long I could avoid the hype, but it seems silly that I haven't read them now when everyone else has and it's the genre I read most of. Thanks so much for the luck and for the comment! :)

      Delete
  6. I read Twilight in 2011 but I don't remember much about them. Maybe I should reread them this year so I can have a review of them on my blog. Good luck!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...