Wednesday 10 April 2013

Opinion: Books I Don't Want to See Made into Films

With all the amazing book to film adaptations coming up at the moment, it got me thinking about which books I don't want to see made into films. And not because I don't like them, but because I think they just work better as they are - as books. Here are a few I could think of off the top of my head. I am sure there are much more so maybe I'll do another post like this down the road. Enjoy!




 Feeling Sorry for Celia/Ashbury/Brookfield series by Jaclyn Moriarty
 This book, and the rest of the series, is told through written letters and notes between the characters. It's something that works so briliantly written down but I can see being really hard to translate onto the big screen!


Shiver/Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater
 Now I do love this series but there's something about the writing style that makes me think it could be lost if translated into film. It's so poetic and beautiful and I think getting inside the characters' heads is a huge part of the story with the multiple perspectives.



Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
When I read this, I felt it was a book for book-lovers. The whole premise is based around a girl escaping to a book and I think you'd get the most enjoyment by reading it yourself. It certainly reminded me why I love reading.


What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang
The great part of this book was the internal monologue between the two main characters, two souls who are sharing a body. I don't know how that would be done well on screen because in the book the speech between the souls is set out differently on the page making it easier to differentiate. Internal monologue is usually the one big sacrifice when it comes to films so in this book it's even trickier, because you have two internal monologues.


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Again, this is a book with a very distinctive writing style, due to the main character's illiteracy. That unique way it was written made me really love the writing. Whilst you could portray Todd's voice with the use of an accent or dialect in a film, I'd really miss reading it and getting lost in Todd's thoughts.


Are there any books you'd prefer stayed as books? Or do you hope to see a film adaptation of all of your favourites? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this so let me know in the comments!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...