Monday 29 April 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett


Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Author: Louise Rozett Website|Twitter
Published: 4 January 2012 (Mira Ink)
Format: Kindle e-book
Pages: 266
Amazon: Paperback|Kindle
Waterstone's: Paperback|e-book
Book Depository: Paperback

Source: Bought

Plot Summary (from Goodreads):
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make...

#1: I’m livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I’m allowed to be irate, don’t you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed gorgeous Jamie Forta, boyfriend of the coolest cheerleader in the school. Now she’s out for blood. Mine.

#3: But most of all high school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien…and now it’s a case of survival of the coolest.
 


My Review:
I've been wanting to read this book for absolutely ages and couldn't believe my eyes when I found it for 99p in the Spring Kindle sale! Needless to say I snapped it up right away. Confessions of an Angry Girl follows Rose as she deals with the death of her father, and the problems his death causes both at home and at school.

I'll start out by saying this book wasn't quite what I expected from the title and plot summary. I expected Rose to be this really feisty character but the Rose we're first introduced to is shy, awkward and pretty quiet. Saying that, I still really fell in love with her as a character. I could relate to that awkwardness and the fact she seemed to be the "sensible" one in her school year. That was definitely me at school! And she had this kind of feminist attitude which I really admired.

The book was written mostly in first person, present tense which always makes a book stand out a bit. I thought it was used really effectively in Confessions and it really engaged me with the story and Rose herself. I also liked the way there were little words with their definitions at the start of each chapter that related to what was happening at that point in the story. It was a nice little extra.

The book deals with some pretty tough issues; grief, bullying and peer pressure being the main ones and I thought everything was extremely well done and realistic. It definitely reminded me of some of the things that happened in my school days! I particularly was impressed with the relationship between Rose and her best friend Tracy and how the two of them clash over how far Tracy should go with a boy. The characters were quite young (Rose is fourteen) but I think Rose came across as very mature for her age which helped make the book feel a bit more grown up.

There's plenty of romantic interest to get your teeth stuck into in this book. Rose gets closer to Jamie, an older student who seems to be showing a lot of interest in her. She's also being pursued by Robert, a guy who's had a crush on her for years. I thought there were some really sweet relationships throughout the book. It really is one of those books where all the characters shine. My favourite was probably Jamie's friend Angelo who I found hilarious and sweet at the same time.

I devoured Confessions of an Angry Girl and it was just the kind of book I like. There were a few moments that let it down for me. The fact it wasn't quite what I was expecting threw me off a bit and I felt like I had to wait a while to really see Rose get angry. There was also one scene I was expecting to be really significant, only when I reached the end of the book, nothing had come of it at all. There is a sequel to this book so I don't know how much of the plot will carry on into that book. I'll definitely be checking it out though, that's for sure!

Overall Confessions of an Angry Girl was a powerful read with great characters and some really touching moments, with humour dotted throughout to keep me entertained. I'd really recommend it.

Rating: 4*
What to read next: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend by Louise Rozett, book 2 in the Confessions series
Books like this: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...