Monday 12 November 2012

Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent


My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Author: Rachel Vincent.Website|Twitter
Published: 29 July 2009 (Mira Ink)
Format: paperback
Pages: 368
Amazon: paperback|Kindle
Waterstone's: paperback|e-book
Book Depository: paperback

Source: Own/recieved as present

Plot Summary (from Goodreads):
She doesn’t see dead people, but...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who’ll be next...


My Review:
This book has been on my wishlist for ages! I've read the first book in Rachel Vincent's Shifters series, but I only bought that to get a feel for her writing whilst waiting to read this book. My Soul to Take tells the story of Kaylee who can sense when people are about to die. The premonitions are becoming more frequent and with the help of the people around her, Kaylee must learn just what is happening.

The reason I was so eager to read this book was because I'd read a free sample of the opening few chapters and was hooked on what I read. The rest of the book was no different! The overall concept of the book was just brilliant. The opening scenes see Kaylee in a nightclub as senses that one girl is about to die. The tension is ramped up from that point onwards and I was on tenterhooks to see what happened. That aniticipation is something that kept my attention throughout the book.

Early on, we're introduced to Nash, a guy Kaylee is immediately suspicious of because of his repuation with girls. There was something really interesting about him, though, and I was very drawn to him as a character. It was clear there was a lot more to him than meets the eye! I liked how natural Kaylee and Nash's relationship was throughout the book. Kaylee herself is a very interesting main character. Her mother died when she was little and her father is absent, so she lives with her aunt and uncle and a her very spoilt cousin. I thought the family dynamics and how Kaylee coped with everything really added to the story.

What was great about the plot of this book was that there was a mystery element to it. Something is happening but Kaylee doesn't know what. Not only must she try and discover why it is she can sense when somebody is about to die, but she suspects there's more to the deaths around her than meets the eye as well. The twists and turns and revelations throughout the story always had me guessing, and there were some pretty big surprises which I loved!

The book has that paranormal feel but also draws on other sources such as mythology. I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoiling, but the world Vincent has created for this book is really captivating.

My Soul to Take is a fantastic idea, brilliantly executed. The writing was good and the pace kept me hooked throughout, and there was a really great mix of characters. This book is the first in the Soul Screamers series and sets up a world that definitely seems to have more potential, so I can't wait to read more! A highly recommended read.

Rating: 5*
What to read next: My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent, book 2 in the Soul Screamers series.
Books like this: Evermore by Alyson Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...