Thursday 4 October 2012

Review: Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick


Spoiler warning! This is the third book in the Hush, Hush series. If you haven't read Hush, Hush or Cresendo then look away now! You can read my review of Hush, Hush here and my Crescendo review here.



Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick


Author: Becca Fitzpatrick.Website|Twitter
Published: 7 June 2012 (Simon & Schuster Children's Books)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 440
Amazon: paperback|Kindle
Waterstone's: paperback|e-book
Book Depository: paperback

Source: Borrowed from library

Plot Summary (from Goodreads):
The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past, bridged two irreconcilable worlds and faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust - all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth.

My Review:
I loved Hush, Hush, and whilst Crescendo didn't quite live up to it, I was still really excited to read Silence. The book starts out with a really interesting twist, which is that Nora has amnesia. Cue her trying to piece back what has happened to her and figure out what's going on in the world around her.

At first I really loved the amnesia angle. It felt like a fresh approach to the story, and sometimes in the middle of a series you really need something to shake it up a bit. I became bored of it quite quickly, though, I'm sad to say. The main problem was that Nora had pretty much forgotten everything that had happened in Hush, Hush and Crescendo. Her trying to figure out what had happened in her past just became one huge recap of the previous two books which I didn't really need. All the way throughout the book, Nora is constantly questioning herself and what is happening. The annoying thing is that, as a reader, you have all the answers to those questions so there's no suspense to find out what happened - you already know!

The recapping took up over half the book, which meant there wasn't much of an actual plot. I got bored quite quickly and would find myself struggling to get through it. It didn't help that I seem to have lost all connection with Patch and Nora. That perfect chemistry they'd had in the first two books just felt like it fizzled out a bit.

It wasn't all bad. Hank still makes a great villain and there's a bit of action towards the end which got me back interested in the story. I just can't help be disappointed in this book. I felt like this series had so much potential. I hope there's some good stuff waiting to happen in the final book in the series which is released at the end of the month. I feel like this should maybe have been a trilogy, not a four book series, because I don't think enough happens plot wise in Silence, especially not to justify the length of it. It could have been so much shorter.

Still worth reading if you like the characters and the world but nowhere near as good as the previous two books. I was really torn between a 2 and a 3 star rating. Taking into account the series as a whole, it'd probably get 3, but I know I've enjoyed 3 star books a lot more than this. So it's 2* I'm afraid.

Rating: 2*
What to read next: Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick, the fourth book in the Hush, Hush series
Books like this: Fallen by Lauren Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...