Monday 8 October 2012

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate


Fallen by Lauren Kate

Author: Website|Twitter
Published: 1 July 2010 (Corgi Childrens)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 480
Amazon: paperback|Kindle
Waterstone's: paperback|e-book
Book Depository: paperback

Source: Borrowed from library

Plot Summary (from Goodreads):
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.


My Review:
I was looking forward to this book because I'd heard good things, and I enjoyed The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove which is by the same author. Fallen follows Luce, who finds herself at Sword & Cross reform school after a life of seeing shadows and one particularly tragic event in her recent past.

Fallen had a lot of the things that make up a great book for me. I love a good boarding school tale and reform schools in YA usually go down well with me (The Summoning, Hex Hall etc.) so as I started this book I thought it had great potential. The opening of the book certainly grabbed my attention but it very quickly started to go downhill.

Here's where it went wrong - the guys. There are too many of them! I'm all for a good love story but this book three in too many make characters in such a short space of time that I started to get confused very quickly. Trevor, Daniel, Cam, Todd, Roland... I couldn't keep up!

Eventually it starts to be a bit of a triangle between Luce, Daniel and Cam but it was just ridiculously annoying. Luce didn't seem to have chemistry with either guy and the guys themselves had zero appeal for me. I found Luce's obsession with which guy she liked completely annoying. At the end of the day I really didn't care who she got with.

I was holding back my opinion of the book as a whole until the twist has been revealed at the end, but disappointingly the twist ended up being exactly the same as another book I'd already read. And that book did it better.

I don't know whether I'll give the next book a read. I know people who love the series so if it got better I might consider it. I think I was more interested in finding out about the world this book is set in which is only briefly touched upon in Fallen. But for now I have no desire to find out how things turn out.

Rating: 2*
What to read next: Torment by Lauren Kate, book 2 in the Fallen series
Books like this: Evermore by Alyson Noel, Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...