Wednesday 18 December 2013

Sarah & Daisy's Review of Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead

Spoiler warning! This is the 2nd book in the Vampire Academy series and so this review will contain spoilers from book one. You can read my review of Vampire Academy here instead.





Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead

Author: Richelle Mead Website|Twitter
Published: 1 January 2008
Format: Paperback
Pages: 328
Buy the paperback: Amazon|Hive|BookDepository
Buy the e-book: Kindle|Kobo

Source: Gifted from Daisy!

Plot Summary (from Goodreads):
It’s winter break at St Vladimir’s, and a massive Strigoi vampire attack has put the school on high alert. This year’s trip away from the academy to the wintery peaks of Idaho has suddenly become mandatory.

But Rose’s troubles seem to follow her wherever she goes—dealing with the pain of knowing that her relationship with her tutor Dimitri can never be, things get even more complicated when one her closest friends admits his feelings for her.

The glittering winter landscape may create the illusion of safety but Rose—and her heart—are in more danger than she ever could have imagined...


Review:
Sarah: So this review is a little different because I am reviewing Frostbite with the lovely Daisy from FangirlDaily and AThousandLivesofDais. Daisy very kindly bought me the book for my birthday so that we could read it together and taking part in the readalong was so much fun! So here is our review of the book.


Frostbite is the second book in the Vampire Academy series and I think it’s safe to say we both enjoyed the first! I was a big fan of the prologue which recapped a lot of the first book (because I have a memory like a sieve!). What did you think of the recapping?

Daisy: So much happened in Vampire Academy that it was hard to remember, however the recapping covered all the details that were huge plot points, as well as those little niggly things that slip your mind. The continuation into book two was skillfully done. Plus the action in the first chapters really drew me in!


Sarah: I agree. I was worried going in because I hadn’t had chance to re-read but that prologue got me right up to speed. And things definitely got underway quickly! What I loved was that there was a mystery element pretty early on as well. That had me hooked and wanting to find out what was going to happen!

Daisy: That is something I really enjoy from Richelle’s writing, you glide into the world with ease. It helps that a lot of time hasn’t passed between both books, not only for the action but character development. There didn’t seem to be any moments where you question “hey, what happened between these two?” Both sets of Rose/Dimitri and Lissa/Christian got focal points throughout it. But what would a YA book be without a love triangle?!


Sarah: Oh yes, the relationships were one of my favourite things about Frostbite. I basically shipped everyone! Of course I love the chemistry between Rose and Dimitri, but I also loved the other relationships dotted throughout the book. I love Rose and Lissa (I kind of ship them. A lot) but seeing Rose and Mason together was interesting too. One thing I noticed in Frostbite was all the jealousy! Did you feel that too?   

Daisy: The teenage hormones (minus Dimitri, that man has a hold of his emotions!) were rife in this book. Which is accurate to the situation. For those who are yet to read the book, the academy has had threats made against the moroi race, so take sanctuary in a ski resort over the Christmas period so that the families can spend time together. Hormones on top of scary threats and in close quarters with all sorts of new characters makes for Frostbite having an emotional side to it more so than the first book.


Sarah: Ooh you make a good point about the setting! I get nervous sometimes that sequels will feel repetitive, but because Frostbite transports you somewhere new - in this case the ski resort - it still felt fresh. I definitely preferred this book to the first. I think because the world and characters had been established and you were more involved in the relationships.How about you, did you prefer Vampire Academy or Frostbite?


Daisy: Frostbite has to be my favourite of the series so far. There was growth in the characters, where Rose is starting to grow up a bit. She had a level head at times throughout the first book but was very quick to jump in to action. Seeing through her eyes and genuinely seeing the improvement and how hard she is training made it take the top spot for me. I liked Rose in the first book but loved her in this! Was there characters for you that you felt really changed?


Sarah: I agree about Rose! I loved seeing her take on that extra responsibility but she still stayed her same hilarious, badass self. I also loved seeing her relationship with her mother develop.

Daisy: Bless Rose, she has such a dysfunctional relationship with her mother. We never really got a proper scene between them in VA, yet they get a more page this time around. Along with understandings being met, she gets more of an insight into the guardian world and it really isn’t as easy as it seems.


Sarah: Ooh yes I loved learning more about the role of a guardian and I think there’s even more potential to explore that in later books. Speaking of which, that ending! Obviously no spoilers, but Frostbite kind of broke my heart towards the end of the book. How about you?


Daisy: Oh man, I’m still torn up about that ending. Just when you think you’re on solid ground, Richelle can whip the rug out from beneath your feet. The one thing that Frostbite isn’t lacking in is action. When strigoi are around, there will never be a dull moment! But then she gives all the fluttery feelings in your stomach again. It is hard to know what emotion you should have.


Sarah: I definitely had all of the feels during this book! One thing I forgot to mention already was the foreshadowing. All throughout the book there were these moments that hinted at bigger things to come. Did you feel that too?

Daisy: I do like a bit of foreshadowing. Sometimes having no hints makes a surprise not make sense, as you have no idea what led up to that moment. Otherwise you have to whip out your detective skills! I felt that it was stronger in Frostbite and that bigger things are still to come in the series.


Sarah: I totally agree. I hate it when you get plot twists that make no sense and that you could never have worked out. The writing in these books is so clever and sharp that you don’t have to worry about it! So I have a lot of love for this book. The writing, characters and plot all blew me away and now I’m settled into the series I can’t wait to read more. Rating this book was easy - 5* all the way! What’s your final verdict?

Daisy: 5* for me too. I thought the book was truly fantastic, is miles apart from any other academy novels surrounding vampires, *cough* House of Night *cough*! I really enjoyed this installment and will be picking up the next books promptly so I can see how this world develops. I think our ship of Lissa and Rose - Rissa(?!) is one of the things I’m most excited to read. If our lovely readers have read Frostbite, please let us know what you thought of it! Or if you agreed with any of our points, the discussion can still continue :)

Rating: 5*
What to read next: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Books like this: Evernight by Claudia Gray


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...