I've been meaning to do a post like this for ages! And as many people may be ending up with new gadgets under their tree this year, I thought I'd round up some of my favourite bookish apps. I have an iPod touch which is where I use most of my apps and honestly, I'd be lost without some of them! Here's my list (and all of these apps are free - bonus!).
1. Goodreads: I love the site but the app is perfect if you're on the go and want to update your progress or add a book to your to-read list before you forget. It also means you can check whether a book is the first in a series whilst browsing the bookshop or library shelves.
2. Overdrive: This is one of my favourite bookish apps! If your library has an online e-library then it may allow you to borrow e-books and audio books. The Overdrive app lets you download both formats directly to your iPod/phone and read and listen on the go. I absolutely love borrowing audio books via this app as there's no need to transfer them from your PC. It's also great for browsing for books my library has available and creating wishlists.
3. Kindle: I don't own a Kindle so having a way to read Kindle books is brilliant. I don't read too much on my iPod but it means I can take advantage of free book offers on Amazon. If you have a Kindle e-reader then you can sync your books between devices which means you can pick up where you left off.
4. iBooks: Apple's reading app also has a great selection of e-books available. I've downloaded some good freebies on there and it's nice and simple to use.
5. Amazon: This may be a slightly dangerous one if you're prone to sneaky Amazon book orders! The app lets you browse and purchase everything, including books, and allows you to manage your wishlist on the move.
6. Waterstone's: Like the Amazon app, you can browse and purchase books on the move. It also allows you to search for your nearest shop, so if you're out and about and need to find a Waterstone's then you never have to worry!
7. Twitter: Twitter is at its best on mobile devices - makes bus journeys much more fun! And when it comes to keeping up with all the latest book news, blog posts and tweets from authors it's a must have.
8. Tumblr: The Tumblr app has improved with recent updates so now it's easier than ever to browse tags and reblog things. It's the ultimate fandom hangout so whether you're mad for Harry Potter or crazy about The Hunger Games, there's something for everyone on Tumblr.
9. IMDB: Okay, so technically this is an app for film and TV lovers, but with so many book to film/TV adaptations, it's great to be able to keep track of all the details like casting and trailers. I love the trivia sections in particular for getting extra info about the filming of some of my favourite shows and films.
10. Blogger: This is purely for bloggers out there as this app is designed for writing posts instead of reading blogs, but being able to jot down posts on my iPod when I can't get to my laptop is a lifesaver. I have a memory like a sieve so being able to get things down straight away by opening the app and drafting a post means I don't forget anything! I'm actually writing this using the Blogger app right now because I thought of extra things I wanted to say ;)
Do you have any apps that are a must for book-lovers? I'd love to know if you do!