Tuesday 29 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books to Read if you Like the Film Mean Girls

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's top ten is "Top Ten Books If You Like X tv show/movie/comic/play". So I racked my brains and thought of one of my favourite films - Mean Girls! It's just celebrated its ten year anniversary (eep I feel old!) as well so it feels very apt. So here are the books I think you'll like if you love Mean Girls!


Red by Alison Cherry
So I didn't choose this because of the red hair connection! Red is all about social status and fighting to keep it which I think a lot of Mean Girls fans will enjoy.




Shift by Em Bailey
Shift comes with its very own Regina George in the shape of Katie who has a history with main character Olive.




The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate
I always describe this as a guilty pleasure book because the main character is definitely a love to hate character (and certainly a mean girl!).



How to be Popular by Meg Cabot
This book is probably the closest parallel to Mean Girls that I could find, as one girl loses herself in an obsession to be popular.


Teen Idol by Meg Cabot
And just because Meg Cabot nails the American high school thing pretty well, i thought I'd throw in a second book by her!



Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter
This book is set in Guernsey so it doesn't have the American feel, but I think British fans of Mean Girls will find a lot more relatable situations in this book due to the secondary school setting. Plenty of friendship dramas and embarassing scenarios to lose yourself in!




Revenge of the Homecoming Queen by Stephanie Hale
A popular girl on a quest to become homecoming queen finds herself at the bottom of the foodchain.



Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
I picked this because it starts out with a girl at a new school in a strange country which I thought was similar to Cady's situation.



Gemini Rising by Eleanor Wood
 This book features new students who upset the social balance of the school, and deals a lot of with the idea of finding your ideal friends and fitting in.



  Wonder by R. J. Palacio
I included this one because I think it sums up school life, being the new kid and the odd one out perfectly.



2 comments:

  1. What a fun list :) I was just thinking the other day that it had been years since I've seen Mean Girls. Think it might be time for a rewatch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Anna and the French Kiss! I probably wouldn't have thought of comparing it to Mean Girls...I'm thining of Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer now though. lol! Great list! I love your recs. :)) My TTT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...