Sunday 27 April 2014

Hello! A Catch up on Blogging, Working and Life in General

I wanted to write a post apologising for not blogging for a while, but apologising seems like such a stupid word. After all, it's my blog, I run it, and therefore I shouldn't really be apologising to anyone. I haven't done anything wrong!

I think myself and other bloggers can be very quick to put pressure on ourselves to do what is expected of us, such as posting every day or a couple of times a week, because it's what other people do or what publishers expect.

When I first started blogging I was unwell and unemployed. I had lots of spare time on my hands and I needed a hobby to keep me focused and give me an outlet to express myself. Blogging was great for that and went hand in hand with my love of reading. Combining the two was the best thing I ever did!

In January I started my very first job. Yes I'm 23 and had never worked before. My health had prevented me. Starting work was a huge landmark for me and was both exciting and challenging. Because of my health, I have limited energy. I try and explain it as running on a recharable battery that needs charging up a little sooner and more frequently than most healthy people! I love my job and wouldn't change it for the world, but it is a physically demanding job. Since starting work I have found myself having to balance that energy just right so that I could really focus on my job. This meant I had less energy for things like reading and writing as I needed my evenings to rest and recuperate.

As well as working, I've been learning to drive. I don't think driving will be something that ever comes naturally to me, but I've made a huge amount of progress and now I look forward to my lessons and often finish them feeling proud of what I've achieved rather than terrified of what just happened!
 
I still read on my days off and the occasional evening when I have a burst of energy, but I don't read as much or as quickly as I used to. This doesn't mean I enjoy reading any less or have any less desire to read or to blog, but obviously running a book review blog requires you to have read books in order to review them! And sadly that is something I have less time to do.

I hope that readers of my blog will be patient with me, and that they don't mind that the reviews may be further apart timewise. I may not post every day or every week. But when I do post reviews, they will be the same as they always have been. I will spend the same amount of time writing them and pour the same amount of emotion into them. I would never want to try and cram in reviews to pad out the blog and lose some of the substance.

The bookish community is wonderful, and I've always found it to be incredibly supportive, and I hope I can still reach readers even if it is less frequently than before. I'm always lurking about on Twitter so please feel free to chat to me on there! @TotalTeenFic Hopefully speak to you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, I understand were you are coming from as I am in the same boat as you however for different reasons. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you manage to find the right balance and focus on what's right for you. I really appreciate your lovely message!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the job and the driving lessons! I've been dealing with health issues all my life, and I completely understand the need to do things on YOUR schedule. I wish you the best. Don't overwhelm yourself. It would be a shame if your reading and the blog became something you felt you "have" to do rather than something you "Want" to do. Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment made me so relieved, because it's exactly what I need to hear and I'm so glad other people can see that. I'm such a positive person that I'd definitely hate to fall into the trap of doing something because I feel I have to rather than because I enjoy it. Life is too short! Thank you again for the support :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...