Tuesday 7 January 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Goals/Resolutions for 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is goals and resolutions for 2014! Mine are a mix of reading and blogging related. So without further ado, here are the things I'm aiming to do (or not do!) in 2014.

Read more of my own books

I have a huge pile of unread books that get neglected for review copies or library books, so I'm determined to read and enjoy those books because I've been dying to read them for so long.
Take my time reading - don't rush!

Because of the amount I often have to read, I sometimes find myself rushing books instead of being able to read at my own pace and savour the moment. It's like there's this pressure to read as many books as possible, so by taking a book slowly you're missing out, but I often find it a lot more enjoyable to take a week or two with a book and really appreciate it. Because the times I get to do that are so rare, I'm hoping to do it more in 2014.
Read more UKYA

I've been really inspired by Lucy over at Project UKYA so I'll be keeping my eye out for more exciting British authors and novels.
Read more sequels/finish more series

I've started so many series and am yet to move onto the second book, so my aim is to try and stick with them until the end! I've started taking more chances and buying more complete series, or buying books and their sequels. I used to be worried about not liking the first book and having a book lying around I don't want to read, but that hasn't happened yet and it's so much handier when I have the sequel right on hand. If I don't, I just keep putting it off!
Read 150 books

This is my Goodreads challenge for this year. I'm going to be a lot busier so I know it's going to be hard, but I always find having a Goodreads target a motivation. Usually I set it really low and beat it half way through the year, but this time I'm going all out and starting high!
Read some 2014 debuts

I tried doing the debut author challenge last year but it was too hard to keep off with, so I'm just making a resolution to support 2014 debut authors and read as many debuts as I can.
Be more relaxed about blogging

I put a lot of pressure on myself when it comes to my blog, but sometimes you just need to relax and stop worrying. I don't need to post daily, and if I run out of things to post that week and skip a few days then who really cares? It's my blog. I'd rather spend time working on a really good post than rush to churn out something sub-par. And I'm starting to realise I don't need to review every book I read. I can always re-read in the future if I fancy posting a review, but reading as much as I do then the odd book is going to slip through the net and I'm ready to accept that and not worry!

Post more opinion/discussion/non-review posts

I love writing reviews, but I want to try and post more content about books in general. I love writing opinion posts but sometimes struggle to find the time. I want that to change this year.

Shop more in bookshops and discover some new ones!

It's hard to shop in bookshops a lot when you don't have a lot of money, but I want to try and spend the money I do have in the right places. The Books are my Bag campaign has really inspired me to seek out those gems of bookshops and support them.

Visit some book/film locations

I'm dying to visit the Harry Potter studio tour so that's top of the list, but there are so many more places connected to books I'd love to go.


I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are my top ten! What are your bookish resolutions for 2014? Let me know in the comments and if you link me to your top ten then I'll try my best to pop by!

2 comments:

  1. Cool list! I understand what you mean about "reading more of my own books." I've been reading several books for review for a while now, and I'm dying to get back to the books I want to read. Happy New Year!
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I definitely want to read more of my own books this year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...