Saturday 26 October 2013

The Weekly Book Round Up! 26th October

So usually I do a news post on Saturday and a Weekly Book Round Up post on Sunday. This week I've decided to do something a little bit different and combine the two! I might make this a permanent thing if I decide it works, and I'd really appreciate your feedback in the comments.

The reasons for the change are mainly to give myself a bit more free time. I do volunteer work on a Saturday and a Monday, which means Sunday is my super lazy day off. I really value my weekend free time so to not have to worry about rushing to get a post together would make my life a little bit less hectic! I like posting news so didn't want to sacrifice it completely, and I think this is the perfect compromise. Anyway, I hope you like the new format!

The Weekly Book Round Up!

In the News

The cover for Liz de Jager's Banished was revealed this week. You can see it over on her website at this link. The book is set for publication in Feburary 2014. Add it on Goodreads here.

Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead picked up the Guardian's Children's Fiction Prize this week, becoming the first American to do so. Read more over on the Guardian website and check out the book on Goodreads.

After being put on hold due to the underperformance of City of Bones, it looks like the City of Ashes film is back on. Read the story over on Fandomsnews.

And the Roald Dahl Funny prize shortlist was revealed this week, with Holly Smale's Geek Girl providing YA representation. See the full shortlist on the Booktrust website.

And in book release news, the highly anticipated Allegiant by Veronica Roth, the final book in the Divergent series, has finally been published.



On the Blog

This week I posted reviews of the following books: Blinded by the Light by Joe Kipling, a gripping British dystopian novel, Night Witches by L. J. Adlington, a beautifully written story about female fighter pilots with a supernatural twist, Relic by Heather Terrell which is a fantasy set in a futuristic world where people have shunned technology and Curve by Nicola Hudson, a refreshing British New Adult novel that tackles some pretty intense issues.

I also took part in Top Ten Tuesday in which the topic was favourite or unusual character names. Check out my top ten here, which includes names from The Hunger Games, Harry Potter and Pushing the Limits.


Books I've Been Reading

This week I've been taking part in a Frostbite readalong with Daisy from FangirlDaily and AThousandLivesofDais. I'm thoroughly enjoying the book so far. I really enjoyed Vampire Academy and I'm loving getting back into that world.

I also finished reading Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. I adore this series and this book is all about Isaiah. I really enjoyed it, and especially like the new character Rachel. My review will be out in early December so check back to see what I thought.

I'm currently reading Allegiant by Veronica Roth after I was very kindly given a copy this week (see below!). I can't wait to dive back into this world and finish the trilogy.


In the Real World

Firstly, I got my hair cut! I went from having long hair to having shoulder length hair which was quite a change, but I'm really happy with it. So now I look like this:

(Excuse the grumpy face!)

I had the chance to meet up with a fellow blogger this week. Vincent from Mr Ripley's Enchanted Books is another blogger based where I live, and so it was really exciting to meet up and chat books. He also very kindly gave me some books to review, which I will review for both his site and my blog. First up will be Allegiant so keep an eye out for that soon!

Then I met up with my best friend who has made me my very own reading journal! She's customised a notebook for me and included all these amazing sections for favourite quotes, films, characters, even a spot for Waiting on Wednesday ideas!





Coming Up!

Next week is Halloween so I've been saving up some appropriately themed books to run as reviews this week. There are lots of vampires! Over the course of the week I'm also hoping to finish Allegiant, start reading Tregarthur's Promise by Alex Mellanby and maybe get on to Requiem by Lauren Oliver.



2 comments:

  1. The cover for Banished is gorgeous! Your new hair looks really nice, and love the Books are my Bag in the background :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fairly new to your blog, so I have nothing to compare this with, but in my honest opinion, I think this post is great! It completely wraps up the week and covers everything you've been reading and posting about. I say keep this one format with both subjects mixed together, and enjoy your Sundays off :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...